Wednesday, 4 July 2012
Yarn storage container
In addition of painting the office walls and the bookcases I've also done some organizing of my craft stuff. I'm on Aby's workshop for craft spaces and even though I had a pretty clear image of what I wanted to accomplish in the office I still wanted to take that workshop and I'm glad I did. I think I have been more motivated to work with the office redo with the support from the group than I would have been without it.
Most people in the workshop are not doing as extensive redo for their creative space but are decluttering and organizing their craft stuff. So of course I was inspired by them and started thinking of my yarn storage. I looked and looked for a perfect size container with dividers for my craft cabinet, but I couldn't find one. Then I figured I could make one myself.
I was going to write a full tutorial how to make the following type of container, but as always it didn't really go as I planned. But here is anyway somesort of report how I made it.
The materials I used for the container was a big piece of leftover cardboard (and actually I needed even a bit more than that) and I also used two old sheets. I wanted my container to be square so I cut from the cardboard one bottom piece, six long pieces and six short pieces. The long pieces are equal lenght as the sides of the bottom plate and one small piece is a one third of the side of the bottom plate.
Then I cut fabric according to the sizes of the cardboard pieces. I was first planning to attach the dividers on the bottom and sides of the container, so at first I sewed three pieces formed like in the picture under.
After that I realized that it was going to be too difficult to attach the dividers to the bottom and the side and just ripped some fabric out and made the container it self separate. Here you see before I ripped the excess material off.
On this stage I had finished the dividers and I had almost finished the container too. In that stage the bottom cardboard piece needs to be placed inside the fabric layers before the last side was attached.
The last seams I sewed by hand, I wanted the seam to look neat and with the serger I could have only sewn it from the outside and that would have been also very tricky with all the big cardboard pieces.
There it is all finished. You'll notice I also added a handle, there is one also on the back side. I sewed the handle first to the fabric only and then later added the black cross through all the layers, the cardboard and all.
The container turned out quite sturdy and very roomy. It fit all my yarn so easily that I could have double the amount I have now. And the container fits into my craft cabinet perfectly. I love it!