The diaper changing setup did not really work that well. I had a towel and a terrycloth lined with plastic on the diaper changing place. We soon realized that the terrycloth was way wrong material, because Likka pees and poops on the diaper changing place and the terrycloth needed to be changed often. After two days at home we flipped the terrycloth around so that the plastic side was on top. That worked way better. But we also felt that something more bulky could be used as a pad instead of the towel.
When I made the cradle for the terrace I cut up a baby matress for it that we had bought from Ikea. The matress had to be cut lot smaller and I was left with big pieces of matress. I'm glad I did not throw away the pieces, because those happened to be the perfect size for the diaper changing place, it just fit there like a glove. So from the pieces I made a diaper changing pad.
We did buy a piece of plastic tablecloth. So not all the material was handily available, and it might be that the ready made pad from a store would have been even cheaper than the pad I now made, but I did not want the pieces of the matress to go to waste.
It's not too easy to sew plastic, but it worked out somehow. I left the underside of the pad bare, because the matress has a really good friction against the counter top and it stays on place very well that way.
I'm really happy about the pad, I like the dots and it's easy to wipe clean now. We do not have any cotton cover for the pad. We have a cotton rag on the pad and after washing Likka we use the rag to dry her. Often the rag is not so clean after and we change the rag almost after each use.